Help Preserve Tibet's Environment Through Responsible Tourism 2018!
It’s the mission of Tibet Eco Travel to provide quality and responsible Tourism. At Tibet Ctrip Travel Service-TCTS (Lhasa based Tibet travel agency), we have been trying everything in our power to support local community and protect local environment through our hard work in Tibet tourism. Here below are few of our guidelines and lets join together to protect the enviroment during our travel in Tibet.
• Responsible Tourism- Tourism that is mutually beneficial to the local population, the environment, and to the tourist while in accordance with the laws of the People’s Republic of China.
• Importance of Responsible Tourism- Preserving the native environment and local habitats insures the natural preservation needed for future generations of tourist to experience Tibet in real time. Furthermore establishing meaningful relationships between tourist and the Local Tibetan people offers mutual understanding of both cultures in which enhances respect for both tourist and host and thereby promotes future prosperity.
•Guide in Choosing A Tibet based Travel Agency- There are many competing travel agencies ready to accept your money, however their experience in offering an authentic and comprehensive tour may vary between each company. For more detailed tours look for agencies that are based on the Tibetan Plateau as the operators of these companies are more experienced working with both tourist and the local Tibetan people. The importance of the company you choose to hire greatly impacts both the Tibetan people and Tibet’s economy, therefore hiring a reputable and experienced agency insures the longevity of Tibet’s natural infrastructure.
• Explore Local Tibetan Markets- Tourism is the primary monetary source for Tibet’s economy, therefore instead of buying from foreign retailers or even online, you will get more for your money in the form of culture and positive social experiences shopping from local Tibetan owned business’s.
• Maximize your Travel Time by hiring Local Tibetan guides.- Hiring local Tibetan drivers and guides safeguards that you fully utilize your travel time without the need to ; personally navigate your trip, having to search travel permits, and prevents the tourist from missing culturally crucial monuments or sites. Lastly if you feel your experience with the guide or driver was exceptional, tipping is very well appreciated (read more on Tibet tour tipping practice).
• Adhering to cultural and religious customs- Given the numerous temples and religious sites you will experience in Tibet, keep your experiences positive by inquiring about the dress code and photo regulations before entering a religious or government building. While inside such religious or government establishments be mindful of your surroundings and avoid damaging surrounding relics or trespassing in sacred areas. Lastly while undergoing religious institution’s such as temples, you will encounter many monks and nuns, the tourist should follow any walking protocol and avoid physical proximity with both. Read more on Tibet culture travel tips.
• Leave no Trace While Trekking- Before pitching your tent or determining your camp site inform local residents of our stay, this will enhance the tourist safety by preventing any rare encounter of the residents guard dogs. In addition tourist should police their own trash, and use environmental friendly product’s while keeping their waste far from water sources. Lastly tourist should only travel on well trafficked paths without creating new ones, as this prevents soil erosion from accumulating.
• Adhere to Local Laws and Regulations- A series of permits are required for tourist to occupy Tibet, in most cases permission and pre-approved travel documents are needed prior to the tourist entry in Tibet. Therefore pick a Tour Agency that is well experienced in permit registration. In the case tourist are caught without the necessary permits steep fines can be dispersed ranging from 500CNY or more. Be mindful of not only the proper documentation when traveling to Tibet but also the current political “Do’s and Don’ts” as your actions can indirectly impact the Tibetan people.
• Pictures and Medicine- Given the lack of modernization of Tibet’s infrastructure compared to the rest of the world the Tibetan people in most cases still live very traditional and simple lives in which the common profession still remains in the field of agriculture. Therefore you might be tempted or persuaded to hand out pictures, money or even medicine. However your donations are best kept to official contributions to local Tibetan charities, orphanages, and local projects. By limiting your charitable contributions through official channels you prevent any situations of misunderstanding or misrepresentation and also guarantee’s your safety as a tourist. Photographs may be taken, however its best to always seek permission by the person or caretaker of the desired image, especially as religious ideals or different views may find unauthorized photos offensive. Lastly if you wish to donate to local temples or religious establishments, its best to ask your guide how to follow the proper protocol.
To listen to what customers said about our agency, read Tibet tour reviews on reputable Tibet travel agency.